Why is the Placenta so important for post-birth healing?
During and after a normal vaginal delivery (including post-natal bleeding) a new mother will lose between 1/8 to 1/10 of her body’s blood supply. With caesarean section births, blood loss can be significantly more. Losing a large amount of iron so quickly can cause anemia, leaving a new mum feeling tired, faint and exhausted. The blood needs high supplies of iron to carry oxygen to the cells. Low supplies of oxygen leave your cells starving and less able to heal after trauma.
Placenta encapsulation benefits the new mother by supplying incredibly rich meaty iron, amino acids and essential fats which we believe is the perfect replenishment following the physical exertion of pregnancy, labour and birth.
Stem cells and growth factors in the placenta play a key role in healing the wound left inside the uterus after birth by the separation of the placenta from the uterine wall. A mother will typically bleed for between 3 – 6 weeks after birth. This blood loss stems from where the placenta separated from the uterine wall. We have found however that mothers who consume their placenta after birth, particularly after consuming raw placenta in a smoothie or other, bleed significantly less e.g. usually much lighter bleeding for between just 5 – 10 days after giving birth.
The most important nutrients found in rich supply in the placenta include:
- Stem Cells and Growth Factors.
- Iron – essential for oxygen absorption in the cells.
- Vitamins B6 – aids in the making of antibodies.
- Vitamin E – for healing damaged skin cells.
- Oxytocin hormone – essential for facilitating birth and breastfeeding.
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) – responsible for reducing stress levels.
- Cytokines – Fibroblasts that trigger cell metabolism healing and replacing damaged cells and tissue.
Placenta remedies have been reported by mothers to:
- reduce postbirth bleeding quickly
- encourage a quick and healthy milk supply
- balance hormonal peaks and drops
- reduce stress levels
- prevent the baby blues and postnatal depression
- boost energy to cope with a busy day after little sleep
- improve the appearance of skin/hair/nails
The placenta benefits a healing mother after birth in many forms. Placenta smoothies, capsules, creams, tinctures, essences and homeopathic remedies can all be made using the placenta; each may have their own benefit to the body and encourage a quicker more natural recovery after birth. Visit our Remedies pages to find out more how your placenta can benefit you.
Information provided by IPEN Placenta Network, Professional Training in Placenta Services